Monday, July 08, 2013

British English Vs. American English: Bathroom Terminology

British English (BrE)
American English (AmE)
Wash cloth
Shower hat
Shower cap
Toilet/commode/the John
This ongoing list was compiled by Laurence Brown. Laurence is a British expat living in Indianapolis, Indiana. He is a contributor for BBC America and has written for Anglotopia. He is Editor-in-chief of Lost in the Pond and loves nothing more than to share his articles with anglophiles, expats, and other interested parties on social media. Follow Lost in the Pond on Facebook, Twitter and Google+.


Kaley [Y Mucho Más] said...

I was the mean English teacher who made my kids ask to use the "lavatory" or "bathroom" instead of the "toilet." I know it's said, but I don't like it!

Expat Explorers said...

When I first moved to Chicago I felt there was a real language barrier as I went to the supermarket (grocery store) and asked for a trolley (shopping cart), then had to ask for courgettes and aubergines (zuchini and eggplant) only to get a blank stare. And apparently the word "water" doesn't have a "T" in it. I soon spoke American fluently!

Laurence Brown said...

"Water" is one of those words that seems alien to Americans when pronounced the British way. I honestly have to resort to simply pronouncing it with an American accent whenever I order a glass in a restaurant.

Anonymous said...

I can remember the first time I asked "where is the bathroom"?, the answer, "you what? You want to take a bath? A bloke next to be said say loo. I was in a pub in Huntingdonshire!
Sept. 1967.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...