Tuesday, August 20, 2013

British Vs. American English: Telecommunications Terminology

British English (BrE)
American English (AmE)
Dialing code
Area code
Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ)
National Security Agency (NSA)
Hash mark
Pound sign
Mobile phone
Cell phone
Pay-as-you-go phone
Prepaid phone
Transmission Tower
Video recorder

Sometimes, it's better hearing me in a British accent. Click the red button below.

Laurence Brown is a British man writing his way through the truly bizarre world of America - a place he sometimes accidentally calls home and a place he still hasn't quite figured out after seven years. Thankfully, his journey is made 12% easier by the fact that his accent makes him sound much smarter than he is. For evidence of this, subscribe to his popular Lost in the Pond web series over on YouTube.


VoIP Providers said...

This post is really helpful, I am currently working in US and UK and I am really confuse in those terminology. Thanks for sharing this.

Unknown said...

A Brit in the UK comments:

1. It's GCHQ, not GCH, in popular usage

2. A pylon is used for carrying wires used for the distribution of mains electricity. Transmission (of radio or TV) uses structures that would be called towers or masts, depending on how they are built.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...